Reports to: Store Manager
Every candidate for Assistant Manager must be passionate about helping pets and serving customers and co-workers. Assistant Manager themselves must provide legendary customer service and inspire their co-workers to do the same.
Previous experience as a Tomlinson's Store Trainer or high-performing Team Member is preferred. We are most interested in hiring truly caring and compassionate people who sincerely share our values and have the vision, discipline, desire, drive, and interpersonal skills needed for leading and managing such an operation.
Additionally, successful candidates will demonstrate that they can think quantitatively, manage for specific sales outcomes, and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing. A high degree of self-awareness and self-control, a strong achievement drive, empathy, and good social skills are essential for success at Tomlinson's.
I. Sales Floor Operations: Is a constant presence on the sales floor helping customers. Is actively selling Tomlinson’s core products and working hard to always hit sales goals.
Spends the vast majority of his/her time on the sales floor:
- Building rapport with both customers and sales staff.
- Assuring that customer service and satisfaction exceeds our clients’ expectations
- Acting as an example and coach to sales staff.
- Monitoring and appraising job performance of sales staff.
- Promotes, maintains the company’s reputation, culture & vision while building relationships among customers & staff.
An ASM’s time on the sales floor is vitally important as it contributes to the team effort of accomplishing sales goals and meeting company expectations.
II. Maintains Inventory: Keeps the store fully in-stock at all times.
- Submits accurate and timely orders to main suppliers.
- Maintains an accurate digital inventory in order for the shelves to be constantly full of merchandise by performing cycles counts and ensuring that product is received according to company procedures.
- Works under the direction of the Store Manager and Merchandising Manager to keep inventory visually appealing, merchandised to maximize sales, and featuring core products.
III. Staff Development: Manages a staff that meets Tomlinson’s Brand Standards.
- Maintains the skills and well-being of current staff with motivational incentives and appropriate training on sales items and new products.
- Ensures their staff has the customer service skills & product knowledge to provide the highest levels of service.
- Maintains operations by training staff according to the company's operational procedures and personnel policies and by consistently enforcing them.
- Develops, coaches, counsels & disciplines employees in order that each may reach their peak performance.
- Fosters respect and cooperation with company policies and procedures by leading with integrity and poise.
IV. Store Appearance: Ensures store is always aesthetically in compliance with Tomlinson’s Brand Standards.
- Maintains an aesthetically appealing store by keeping it well lit, well stocked, clean and clutter-free, and by making sure it is a warm and welcoming place to shop.
- Maintains an inspection-ready store at all times, but especially on given inspection dates.
V. Communications: In constant communication with Store Manager regarding store operations & needs.
- Communicates pertinent information in a timely manner to the Store Manager to make sure issues are dealt with appropriately.
- Attends all required store meetings and trainings.
VI. Industry Expertise: Assistant Store Managers are students of the industry & are actively keeping Tomlinson’s relevant to customers and on the leading edge of industry developments.
- Is knowledgeable about new industry trends and is plugged into and enthusiastic about the pet industry.
- Informs Merchandising Manger regarding new products that seem to be a fit with Tomlinson’s values and brand standards.